• Carsten Pfau

Hi

posted by  Carsten Pfau in Germany forum 

Hi Miguel, I used to have problems understanding that as well. Basically, if you are over-qualified, people expect you to immediately start looking for a better job that suits your qualifications better, as soon as you start in the lesser qualified job. A company usually spends time, money and maybe other resources to hire somebody, train somebody, etc. - if a person leaves shortly after being hired, the company will have to go through the entire process again - post a job offer, interview people, select someone, train that person and so on. Furthermore, if it is a position that somehow is important in the context of the organization, it is also important to have somebody at this position for a considerable amount of time. For example, if you applied for the position of Executive Assistant, you would probably quit after a few weeks, because you (considering your degree and language skills) can easily get a better job. However, for an executive, his/her Exec Assitant is a very important person, trust and a sense of routine are an issue here. If you feel that you are over-qualified for a certain job but still want to get hired, you need to seriously make an effort and explain why that is. E.g., a good friend of mine used to be a "Abteilungsleiter" (i.e., middle to upper management) and wanted to change into a position with much less responsibility. She had to explain that in detail to a headhunter and later, that point was extensively discussed during the interview (by the way, she got the job later on).

Post a reply

Other replies