Επιστροφή στην Νότια Ολλανδία φόρουμ

Hi

Δημοσιεύτηκε σε φόρουμ Νότια Ολλανδία

Hi!

I'm moving to Leiden later this year - I've just got engaged and my fiance already lives there, so I'm moving over to live with him. I'm just trying to work out what to do when I get there, as I don't really know many people there and don't speak the language. Any hellos, advice or encouraging words from people who've already made the move would be much appreciated!

Helen. x

• Carola Snijders-Sah

Δημοσιεύτηκε από  σε φόρουμ Νότια Ολλανδία 

Hi Helen,

Nice that you still using just landed. How do you like the Netherlands and Leiden?
    I'm still not very used to the dutch way of living again..
    It would be nice to meet-up for a coffee. Do you have any particular days you can meet? I work in the hospitality industry, actually in the new Hilton which opened new in Leiden last month. So my working
    hours are very flexible. Sometimes I start at 3 so we maybe can meet before my
    shift and sometimes I finish at 3 so we can meet after my shift.

I hope to hear from you.

Groetjes (regards)
    Carola

• Πηγαίνετε στο προφίλ του Helen Woolnough

Hey,

Believe it or not, I've only just seen your replies to my previous posts! Thanks for your lovely messages. I'm now living in Leiden, but only since August, so it's all still very new! If you'd still like to meet up for a coffee sometime that would be great - just let me know :)

Thanks,

Helen.

• Carola Snijders-Sah

I just see that it's 2011...

• Carola Snijders-Sah

Hi Helen,

My name is Carola, I understand your thoughts. I used to live in Edinburgh and I remember when I came there with 1 suitcase not knowing anyone.. But I had a great time! I live in The Hague (Den Haag) and work in Leiden now, we moved here 3 weeks ago and even i'm dutch i don't know anybody here.. My husband doesn't speak dutch as well but he started with a course, so see how that turns out.

Leiden is a great place to live, very lively and a lot to do! Close to major cities like The Hague, Rotterdam and Amsterdam ( a bit further) and you are close to the beach as well. I see that your message is from the second of may, so don't know if you are already here but all the best and if you want to meet for coffee or a drink let me know.

Groetjes (regards)

• Justyna Kurek

I totally agree with Dutch-English issue... I'm trying to learn the language, but English is so common and Dutch people will speak to you in English quite happly I need to take step further and start the Dutch language course.

Basicly I can tell You not to worry about anything! I moved to Nederlands (Nijmegen) about 3 months ago, also because of my boyfriend and I have to say I really enjoy it being here. I actually write a blog about my beginnings in Holland, but since it's in Polish and Google translation is terrible, I guess it wouldn't be very helpful for you.

Good luck in Leiden!

• John R

Learning Dutch...

Δημοσιεύτηκε από  John R σε φόρουμ Νότια Ολλανδία 

"My fiance says he really struggles to practice because everyone speaks such good English!"

Yeah, you will find that it's very hard to practice Dutch because pretty much every Dutch person you encounter will try to speak English to you once they detect an accent. I work with a German girl whose English is excellent, but who was reduced to pretending not to speak the language just so she could practice her Dutch.

• Πηγαίνετε στο προφίλ του Helen Woolnough

Thanks for the replies - sorry I've not replied sooner! It's reassuring to know that other people have made the move succesfully and haven't struggled with the language. How have you found learning Dutch? My fiance says he really struggles to practice because everyone speaks such good English! I'm going to have to learn Dutch for my work. Does anyone have any tips for places/ways to learn?

Helen. x

• Nik C

I spent last week in Leiden visiting a friend, the city is truly beautiful! There are several restaurants with seating by or near the canals which I loved...very cozy. I agree with Joanna, it can be quite romantic. I've just recently moved to Alphen aan den Rijn & was worried about the language barrier since I only speak English but I've not encountered any problems...I'd say about 85% speak English.

Good luck with your move and congrats on the engagement!

• Joanna Piasecka

Leiden is very nice city to walk in the evening, very romantic, you can meet there international students, etc. so I am sure you will be fine. I was living there for a year or so myself. Now I am in den Haag, where there are even more foreigners so I am also catching up slowly. Greetings

Δημοσίευση νέας απάντησης