Back to Netherlands forum

Visas for Holland to be with my Dutch Boyfriend

Posted in Netherlands forum

Hi, I am American and want to move to Amsterdam to be with my boyfriend who is Dutch. Is there any way I can get a visa to go there and live with him and be able to work there as well?? Do we have to register as a partnership when I go there as a tourist or can I just go there and apply for a residence permit within 5 days of getting there and be able to get a residence permit with the ability to work there? Or should I apply for an MVV before I go to The Netherlands even though I don't need to since I am American? What is the best way to get a residence permit and working permit as soon as possible??? Are you able to work in holland if I am there to be with my boyfriend, do we have to register as a partnership or can we do a cohabitation visa??

  • posted by  in Netherlands forum 

    Hi Nik, my name is Karla, I'm mexican-american and my situation is like yours, kind of.
    Right now i'm in Holland and it wasn't that hard to get the residency permit because my husband is Dutch citizen, so if your boyfriend is Dutch it won't be that hard (well that's what I think). But if he is American and he has a working or student visa, then I don't know what is the procedure for you.

    But this is my story:
    First I got to Holland as tourist and I had to go to the City Hall or Gemeente (dutch) in the city which I'm right now, to notify that I was gonna stay more than 3 months in NL. You need to give an adress and the name of with who are you staying (in your case your boyfriend's adress).

    Then you need to apply for a residency permit in IND which is the Immigration Department. But your boyfriend has to be your "sponsor", he must show proof of income and also he needs a job contract for 1 year or more.
    Also you gonna need a birth certificate with an apostille, you get that in USA.
    And you will need passport photos, I think 2. (you can do it in Holland).

    You have to follow several steps but your boyfriend can call to the Gemeente or IND to ask about with what to start first.

    Then you get the appointment to go to the IND to show the papers, if everything seems to be in order and ok, IND will give you a 6 month permit until you get your real residency card permit, and you will have the permission to work :). (it takes about 2 months to get the card then you need no longer the 6 months permit).

    But!! it's really hard to get a job, because you really need to speak dutch (nederlands) and it's so difficult (for me it is! hehe), but everything it's cool.
    Our plans is to go back to America by next summer :).

    I hope my information helps you a little bit.

    And this is the official website of the IND, check it out you will find more accurate info!

  • oublal abdelkarim

    posted by  in Netherlands forum 

    hi my name is karim,i have 20 years old i m from Morroco i which can i go to netherlands for continue my study there also i like speaking english it's for that i want go to this place exactly,more than that i hope i can i have a girl friend this is alllllllllllll thank for you

  • Nik C

    posted by  in Netherlands forum 

    Hi, my name is Nik. Reading your post it was though I posted it myself. I am also American and planning to relocate to Holland to be with my boyfriend. For someone who has never traveled abroad this is all so confusing...I'm in the process now of obtaining my passport. My plans are to stay in Holland a year then we will return to the USA but while I'm in Holland I will need to find emploment which will require a work permit. If you don't mind I would like to know what all I should expect and what exactly is required of me. Any information given will be greatly appreciated!

  • Go to Mercury Olympus's profile

    posted by  in Netherlands forum 

    On this particular web page you will find the answer to all your question . Anyhow americans can stay as long as they want too. But you have to read the previous web page i told you. I wish you a good begin as a newcomer in the Netherlands.

  • Jales R

    posted by  in Netherlands forum 

    i'm from trinidad and i was in your situation as well, i live in holland and i came on a tourist visa as well..

    i dont know any of the laws so this is my disclaimer i'm simply speaking from my personal experience.

    when i got here we applied for the residence permit, they gave me a working permit right away..which i have never used since its harder to get a job here than you might think.

    then after some time they sent me a letter saying i can pick up the residence permit cause it was ready.

    i didnt have to apply for any other visas or so. you just have to have health insurance, i also registered with the town hall... you also need to carry your passport for them to put a sticker in there.

Post a reply