• Neon Crane

1200 was sufficient, but expenses are substantially higher now;Negotiate for1500

posted by  Neon Crane in Oman forum 

Hi,
    Congratulations on your offer. Unfortunately While 1200 is on the face of it a decent package, you have to remember that food and accomodation and transport are substantially higher now than last year. Inflation is 4.3% and a 2 bed in ruwi now ranges from 350 to 500 in the MBD CBD area of ruwi, which i assume you will be staying in till you get a driving licence. Another big expense in your monthly budget compared to india will be phone expenses . The Middle east average revenue per month is one of the highest in the world, and communication with family in India will be a considerable expense. This is partly because of the small population and high speed networks. Sype does not work. Sorry. Financial accountants/analysts in govt cos and semi govt cos get in the range of 1600 to 1900 easily, and certification takes you a lot farther. I'm unaware of your role, so i would be unable to comment more, even though i work in the same industry. With 2 or more years of experience perhaps you could bid for more. Average meals at most restaurants range from 2-5. The mcdonalds value meal is 2.something. Premium restaurants meals can go to around 7 RO excluding alchohol and dessert. Again, sorry. Till you get a licence to drive/hire, you willl be taking cabs, which are around 2-3 RO to the major supermarkets from ruwi, depending on where you stay.My guess is that you will be staying close to the office. If so, at MBD, its about RO 1.5 to the major Indian supermarket. But there are a lot of other interesting alternatives. Medical insurance and return tickets are common and mandatory in some companies.
    If you are able to mechanically adhere to a frugal lifestyle month after month, then you will probably be able to save amounts suggested here. Otherwise it's unlikely. Sharing accomodation cuts costs overall, but will raise other issues and complications and overheads, periodically. Good luck.

Post a reply

Other replies