Tom's Film Club: I, Daniel Blake (2016)

8月

The Old Market

11A Upper Market Street, Hove BN3 1AS, United Kingdom Map

CHARITY SCREENING FOR FARESHARE SUSSEX: Winner of Best British Film at BAFTA and the prestigious Palme d'Or, Ken Loach's I, Daniel Blake emerged as one of the most important films of 2016.

"It's a monumental farce, isn't it? Looking for non-existent jobs and all it does is humiliate me."

Winner of Best British Film at BAFTA and the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival (Loach's second after The Wind That Shakes the Barley, playing on Thursday 17th), I, Daniel Blake emerged as one of the most important and relevant films of 2016, as well as one of the best films of Loach's long esteemed career. Announcing his retirement from film making back in 2014 (with the lovely Leitrim-set Jimmy's Hall), he returned to work behind the camera after hearing of the re-election of Cameron, with aims of highlighting how the former PM's policies had failed to help the poorer, working classes.

I, Daniel Blake addresses unemployment, poverty and the problems with the benefits and welfare system of the UK. The titular character is played by comedian Dave Johns in a very endearing performance, who is a long-time joiner unable to work due to having had a major heart attack.

One of the many issues seen in Loach's film is the rise of food banks, which is in part due to the rise in unemployment, poverty and homelessness across the UK. In keeping with the film's message of camaraderie and helpfulness in the face of uncertain times, all ticket revenue from I, Daniel Blake will be donated to Fareshare Sussex, who distribute surplus food within the city of Brighton & Hove and Worthing helping to feed vulnerable groups and the homeless community.

Category: Arts | Visual Arts | Film / Cinema.

Booking: https://go.evvnt.com/130834-1

Price: Standard - GBP 6.

Evvnt Promotionのプロフィールに行く
Organizer:
 Evvnt Promotion