posted by Deleted user in Portugal forum 

Joao

I guess Susie just wanted to leave clear that people who emigrate are in general looking to improve their living conditions. Sometimes the information we would like to share is misinterpreted by the reader. In this case I also interpreted as all portuguese emigrants are runners from their country. But you have clear it up correctly.

I will add my thoughts on two of the aspects discussed by you.

1) Why do you say that in Germany one is more likely to be discriminated than in Portugal? Do you consider a type of discrimination the experience of being asked to present your ID card while your colleague wasn't?
    2) Why do you carry such a negative feeling/opinion on the "way" Portuguese emigrants typically behave?

About 1): I am now living in Germany and so far i feel that people have a really good sense of community. Of course its hard to generalize from one to many but at least this is what i ve perceived for the time being. I totally disagree that the experience you had, being asked for the ID, is a case of discrimination (Although you don't mention this situation as being a type of discrimination, its not clear then why you add it to your argument). At most i see it as a case of selective choice. In portugal you barely see someone being asked for its ID. In germany you have more persons in charge of this task. Also if they are looking to control illegal immigration wouldnt it make sense if they ask the ID to someone who shows no evidence (which ever it might be) of an illegal person? Also the same situation happened a lot while i was in Italy. I know its not comfortable to be always asked for the ID, because of visual assumptions, wile the ones who surround you aren't. But after some thoughts on the topic i end up understanding...

About 2): I am sorry to hear that you re not comfortable with the way emigrants behave. I see this behaviour as the result of fewer opportunities to become educated together with (partilly) a way of social affirmation. My view is that i don't judge emigrants for not being educated or for behaving very differently from non-emigrants. I tend to understand why this happens and i accept. At most i blame them, but i understand why they behave like that. I dont want to go into philosophical questions here, you should also try to understand like i do and avoid a negative sentiment towards those specific types of emigrants, that later on, this sentiment may lead to discrimination forms.

Post a reply

Other replies