• Go to John Lovejoy's profile

posted by  John Lovejoy in Germany forum 

@Daniel Hollenbeck

"My guess would be that we need the practise for our driver´s licence to be able to steer our 7er BMW or Merc SLK at a leisurely 220 km/h on the fastlane while listening to "Ride of the Valkyries" at ear-splitting volume, singing along because we know all the lines by heart. Just like me. “

Thanks for imprinting that on my mind. :))
    Sure it’s cute and serves the elites and special interest but not regular people in Germany hovelling at the bus stop in the cold or pushing their bicycle through the snow.
    Nor the trades, small business, the working class or the poor.
    In fact it’s at their expense.

In fairness, if Germany where to let all people have independent transportation like I the US, their traffic system would be extremely strained if not collapse because they don’t have the infrastructure for that.
    These days the Autobahns are already crowded and there are only limited routed with no speed limit.
    There are not enough roads to begin with or not wide enough and definitely not enough parking in the cities.
    And then you have all those goofy traffic laws and over overabundance of traffic signs causing even more confusion.
    I have never see so many accidents in my life.

Another odd thing I noticed when driving with my German friends….and there is no exception.
    No matter how mellow their where before, the moment they get into a car, they are stressed and upset.
    It’s an ongoing barrage of bitching about or yelling at other drivers.
    Frequently I see people yell rules and regulations out the windows, calling each others names over nothing.
    IMHO this is the result of the special ed( sonderschule ) where they learn that.
    And the tailgating is really bad.
    No matter the speed they appear to be incapable of keeping safe distance.
    That's not very smart
    As far as I am concerned ….I just give everybody the right of way in Germany. :)
    ( Go away and take your drama somewhere else)

For me like for most Americans a car is little more than a tool to go from your choice of A to B whenever you want to and have enough space to fit toys, friends or tools of the trade.
    Something we take for granted to make your life work.

Post a reply

Other replies